The Hansaviertel is a small locality between the Tiergarten park and the Spree river within the central Mitte borough of Berlin. It was almost completely destroyed during World War II, but was rebuilt from 1957 to 1961 as a housing estate project of international master architects like Alvar Aalto, Egon Eiermann, Walter Gropius, Oscar Niemeyer etc., called Interbau 1957 (IBA 1957). The whole ensemble is now protected as a historic monument. The quarter received its name for its streets named after Hansa cities, with the Hansaplatz in the centre. This square contains a small shopping arcade, a library and the Grips-Theater. The Hansaplatz subway station was already built in 1957, though the U9 line did not open before 1961. Some Gründerzeit buildings remained north of the Stadtbahn railway. The Altonaer Straße, named after Altona, Hamburg, leads to the Victory Column. Schloss Bellevue, the residence of the German President is nearby (text from Wikipedia).