|function||court building, office|
The architects were presented with the challenging context of Trim Castle, Europe's largest Norman fortress (completed 1204) in which to refurbish and extend an existing courthouse building, dating from the 1810s. The refurbished courthouse gains breathing space from its new neighbour which accommodates office space. The new wing reacts to the context in which the building is placed - the limestone wall which wraps around the ground floor complements the adjacent castle's rampart, and the circular tower takes its form from the fortifications along the castle's curtain wall. Four courtrooms are available for sittings of the High, Circuit and District Courts.