|function||housing, urban plan|
On February 1920 the first stone was laid of this new neighbourhood. King Vittorio Emmanuele III had planned a new harbour that would link the city of Rome with the coastal town of Ostia. The hills in between were developed and these new houses were built for men working in the harbour. The architecture of the quarter initially was modeled to the English Garden Cities, very connected and near the city. The English Garden model was used to help the workers adjust to the new way of living in the city. La Garbatella was developed by blocks (Italian Lotto) which were designed by different architects over a period of approximately twenty years: this produced a great variety of styles and decorations, with many details reminding the viewer of medieval, Renaissance or Baroque patterns. The inhabitants did not find the alien landscape of so many modern urban developments, but the familiar mixture of styles existing in so many streets of Rome and they easily felt at home in their new houses.