Carlo Scarpa worked on two different projects for the Ca' Foscari University, the first one from 1935 to 1937 and the second one from 1955 to 1956. The first project was the complete restoration of the building, with its most visible traces now being the ground floor hall, glazed on both opposite ends for views of the grand canal and the courtyard, the staircase and parts of the main lecture hall. The second intervention focused on the lecture hall (Mario Baratto Room) and created a complex wooden structure, separating the entrance space from the room. This structure was made with wood from a demolished tribune belonging to the first project that stood in the same place. In 1979, the room was destroyed by fire but was later rebuilt to Scarpa's design.