Brazilian Pavilion for the Venice Biennale
The first design for the Brazilian pavilion was conceived in 1959 by Enrique E. Mindlin, Giancarlo Palanti and Walmyr L. Amaral. The idea was to build a new bridge between the two areas of the Biennale gardens and merge it with the pavilion. The proposal was accepted but in fact never realised. In 1964 Amerigo Marchesin, a Venetian architect who had been working as a collaborator on the previous project, proposed a different location for the pavilion, separated from the bridge. The two volumes that compose the pavilion are unified by a roofed gallery, a C-shaped concrete beam that extends outwards from the building. The materials used are wood and glass for the lower building up front and bricks and white plaster for the volume in the back.