Now owned by the French couturier Yves Saint-Laurent and Pierre Bergé, these overwhelming gardens provide a wonderful haven. Designed by French painter Jacques Majorelle who lived here from 1922 to 1962, it was created in the image of Marrakech palaces: architectural simplicity, games of water and lush vegetation. Among the cacti, bamboo and fountains is a deep-blue villa, now housing a museum on Islamic Art. It was designed by architect Paul Sinoir as a blue workshop. It exhibits carpets, wedding curtains, belts, jewellery and manuscripts. There's also a small exhibition on Majorelle's work. The special colour of blue which he used extensively in the garden is named after him, Majorelle Blue.