Arantzazu is a sanctuary over 500 years old being cared for by Franciscan monks. Pre-eminent landmark of popular belief, it is home to a considerable part of the Basque soul, taking roots in her language and culture, love for nature. Arantzazu has long been a refuge for pilgrims and has provided several services for them. It is situated 750 m above sea level, surrounded by mountains and greenery. In 1951 a new basilica was built instead of continuing with partial restoration and extension works. It was solemn and with imposing presence due to its size, but the builders focused mainly on achieving an artistic and modern expression for which an ideas contest was called. Francisco Javier Sáenz de Oiza's and Luis Laorga's winning project had sculptor Jorge Oteiza's mark with his 14 apostles on the façade. The iron gates were designed by sculptor Eduardo Chillida and paintings by estor Basterretxea and Lucio Muñoz.