In 1937, Frank Lloyd Wright began spending his winters with his students in a camp that he dubbed Taliesin West, named after his original home of Taliesin in Wisconsin. Located just outside of Phoenix, Taliesin West was gradually built each winter using the rocks and materials of the local area. With an over abundance of natural light, Wright used white canvas to turn the ceiling into a diffuse light source in the drafting studio. Today, the original spirit survives, as it is now home to the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, as well as a school for architects. Public tours are available, pricing for which is on the their website.
How to get there?
From Phoenix, take highway 101 north and exit Cactus Rd. and turn right. The road will end at Frank Lloyd Wright Drive an become Taliesin Road, follow it up the hill to Taliesin West.